Monday, January 30, 2012

A LETTER FROM HIRUNIKA, WRITTEN ON BHARATHA’S 56th BIRTHDAY AFTER HIS THIRD MONTH DEATH REMEMBARANCE

Hirunika’s letter  after the three-month death anniversary of her father Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra

It has been three months since Mr. Bharatha Lakshman’s assassination. His daughter, Hirunika has written a letter titled “MY DEAR FATHER” which was published in a number of National newspapers today.
This letter was meant mainly to commemorate her father on his 56th birthday and after three months almsgiving, at the same time revealed some unknown qualities of his character not known to many.





READ  HIRUNIKA’S FULL LETTER FROM  BELOW:

The Pain of mind caused after his sudden loss is unbearable. There are no words to express the sadness I bear in my heart. Even though everybody consoles me that this enormous pain and loneliness will gradually disappear, not a second passes without remembering my father. Everywhere I look, I see the image of my father smiling at me with eyes full of love. Whenever I was hurt or heartbroken I always ran into the arms of my father. His warmth and his consoling words lulled me. It is difficult to make you understand how much I feel the need of my father at this very moment to soothe my heart. I cannot forget the fact that it is Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra, the People’s leader, the Politian, and the Trade Union Leader who has passed away. But how can I forget that it is my dear father who has left us.
Among the memories I have in my distraught mind I see the proud image of my father. The voice which I never thought would be that deep reverberates in my ears. The person whom I used to hug physically can now only be hugged in my imagination.
I have always complained about my father’s busy schedule. When he was not close to me when I needed him the most, I have complained saying that my brother, my mother and myself come second to him. I have told him that he has given his priority to the outsiders.
 My father has dedicated his life not only for us but also for the whole world because of his extraordinary humane qualities. When I used to complain, he would listen silently with a smile on his face and that is the exact image I still see before me. I want to ask him as to why he did not tell us the commitments he made for others. I know that my father did not consider any of my faults as a fault. But I want to tell the world that he was a great man who never neglected his responsibilities towards humanity.
 My friends always told me that I was a lucky daughter. They believed that I have been rewarded for my merits in the past lives to be his daughter. It is only now that I realize the meaning of what they meant. I am truly a lucky daughter to have such a loving father. He sheltered us like a giant tree. He taught us to be independent and to think deeply. What is left today is the young sapling which nurtured under that giant tree. Now I am exposed not only to the sun and the rain but also to storms. Yet, my father had taught me to face everything with strength and peace of mind.  Even though my father was stolen from me, he has gifted me with things that cannot be stolen.
He has given me the wisdom to look deep into life. It was my father who encouraged me to study law. It was one of his dreams to see me as a lawyer speaking for criminal cases. He would have never imagined that my knowledge would be first used to bring justice for him. I am dedicated towards fulfilling my father’s dream even under these very difficult circumstances.
There is one memory of my father which I will never forget. Our home was always crowded with people. Each of them called him “Lucky aiyya”. They were all brothers to my father. He addressed all of them in an endearing manner. One day I called an uncle who worked with him by his name. I cannot recall any other day he got so angry with me. He was not a strict father, but on that day he taught me a valuable lesson. Since his death, he has left me with a group of loving people who have not forgotten us. My father has taught me to be friendly with people and to share their sorrow. Though you are not with us, you have left with us a group of people around us. I have inherited from my father a group of people who are bonded through brotherhood and who share their lives with me. Father, just like you I too will be always with them. I will protect them and I will never betray them. I think that is the best thing I can do for them on behalf of my father.
There is one more incident which recalls how simple my father was. I was dressed to go out and I was complaining about my slippers which were torn and discolored. I asked for a new pair. I remember him ignoring and me and talking to some uncles. I asked for money to buy a new pair of slippers. “Though your slippers are old it does not affect your image. Do not mind about your slippers. If you want a pair of slippers to wear now, take these” he said pointing at his own sandals. I still recall his simplicity.
 I cannot describe the pain I go through when I see on TV the same pair of slippers soaked in his blood beside his dead body. I picture him in the national suit wearing the same pair of slippers and joking around. He was the compass which showed me the right direction. He was the guiding star. He was the light of our lives. But, today I have lost my dear, loving, and great father. I thought that he was the most valuable part of my life. But, now I have realized that he is my whole life.
He never let us bears any pain. Only we know the bitter pain my brother, mother and I feel without him and that cannot be expressed in words. I wish that no daughter should ever face such a fate. Today is the 56th birthday of my father. I miss him more than ever. I wish I could hug and wish him a happy birthday like I have always used to do. I cannot bid farewell to the memory of my dear father.  I wish he would be in every dream I see. May he be my father in all lives to come? May he attain Nibbana!

Hirunika Premachanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design By GossipDotBlog